Recently I moved to SLC, Utah and so far it's been great. I have a quaint apartment near downtown and my own space for once in my life. I have cable with a DVR and internet. The move was pretty uneventful mostly because my older brother gave me a bunch of stuff and helped me out by hauling it all North in his Chevy-pulled trailer. One trip. Done. Without him, I'd still be relocating.
Moving is expensive. As I'm sure anyone who has lived in their own place (esp. the married and/or childrened) can attest. It about broke me. My savings account was already slim. So I was very upset when, on the day of my brother's wedding, I went to get into my automobile, dressed in tux and all, and found that it had been invaded. Pillaged. Raided. Sacked. All of the donation boxes had been overturned, hatch spaced perused and glove box violated. My portable CD player was gone. Even all my change had been taken. On a much smaller scale, I now know how New Orleans feels. I was so upset (and running late) that I still haven't figured out exactly all that was taken or put any of my stuff back in boxes. All my leftover things still sit there slumped over and wrinkled like a Special Victim awaiting a rape kit.
I have a suspect. There are plenty of odd people that wander the streets of downtown but only one is a geographical native to my block. I call him "F**ked-up Ted" for lack of a better term. He is an older man with a big bushy gray beard, baggy pants, winter coat all year round, and a trucker hat. (Note for Ted on the hat: if Britney Spears starts wearing something, it isn't cool anymore.) The guy is usually found on the front steps of a local Christian church rambling loudly about the apocalypse, high prices and Communism. My reasoning behind accusing him is as follows: if he is not on the church steps, he is always wandering the blocks near my apartment. I've seen him around late at night just standing in one spot for minutes staring at what appears to be nothing. I'd pay a dollar to see what he does. Then, for no visible reason, he will start into his raving antics. My theory is that he goes around and casually tries car doors to see if he can get in. If someone has left his or her door open, he deduces that he is welcome to whatever is inside and begins shopping. Did I mention that I think I left my doors unlocked? No? Well, I think I did. There was no sign of forced entry so it must have been me. Usually I am really obsessive about locking up. Especially since my laptop was stolen.
All things considered, I still love my new place and living in SLC. I even saw "F**ked-up Ted" last night and walked by him without punching him in the ear. Bygones. I just wish he hadn't taken my change. I need to do laundry.