Monday, October 19, 2009

Filled with Opportunity

I've been writing more lately. I know, I know. "But Brett ... you write for a living." Yes, but I don't write for myself very often.

My excuse has always been "I don't want to spend 8 hours in front of a computer writing and then come home and write some more." It's an excuse that is easy to justify. My brain gets tired. And I do enjoy my jobs here and here and sometimes here. And WoW is easier.

But I've recently decided to write the stories I want to tell even if they never see the light of day. Part of this comes from having a desire to be better to myself and to those around me more than I have in the past. To stop being as lazy (the as gives me a little breathing room). In order for me to do that, I have to listen to what my instincts, the Spirit or the little crazies tell me to do. I've noticed that when I act on these whisperings, I get rewarded with more inspiration. Funny how that works.

Now, I could write a book about making excuses (maybe I will) but thing thing about excuses is that it puts the blame for failure temporarily on someone or something else's head. And that's false living. Failure still catches up to you. I don't want to be that guy.

Finally, here is a great little article on this subject.

Remove These Phrases from Your Writing Life

The best part is Seth Godin's quote at the end. Love it.

As always, thanks for reading.