Thursday, June 16, 2005

Fat Guys in Small Cars

Today I saw something so beautiful, humorous and sad.

A car pulled up next to me at a light and the driver, a white, sweaty, 300 lb mass of a guy, is rocking out. A hat with a sports team logo covered his stubbly short hair; slim black sunglasses pressed onto his face like an A-cup bra on a DD chest. Do I even need to say that the hat was on backward? Ok.

This man (in his early 20s, I assume) was absolutley crammed into his undersized vehicle. He was an orca whale stuffed in a tuna can. An elephant jammed into a cedar chest. A planet stuffed into a utility closet. The angry scowl he was making told all lookers-on to not "mess with Texas," so to speak, for he was mean and cool and hardcore and the Lonestar State. But the best part was that he was listening to "F**k the Police." The song performed famously by NWA. But I'm almost positive he was listening to a bastardized version by Rage Against the Machine, LimpBizkit or possibly Wham! He was listening to that song, windows rolled down on his matchbox-sized Chevy/Geo Metro, and looking around to see who else thought he was as awesome as he thought himself to be. In this moment I witnessed the self-proclaimed king of paused traffic.

But, the light changed, as they often do, and we all rolled onward to our destinations. Me to eat my drive-thru dinner at home (hey, I never said I was cool) and my sad heavy friend perhaps to his smelly apartment and the first season of "Felicity" on DVD.