I have been trying to help Bella get more comfortable with pooping in the toilet. She is #1-ing there just fine. I think she just views #2-ing as an inconvenience, a delay in her regimen of coloring, dancing and playing pretend. Once, during an attempt to put her "poo nuggets" where they belong, she became a little frazzled. I was just outside the door and could tell she wanted to give up even though we both knew she had to drop the nuggets off at the pool. So I said, "It's okay. You just need to relax. Think about something else and just breathe. In and out. They'll come." She began to breathe like a yoga pro. Then, knowing her flair for the dramatic, I said, "You can even talk to them, if you want." This was what she wanted to hear. I said, "Come on out, poops." She said essentially the same thing in her own toddler voice and emphasis. In a moment, she was literally relieved.
A few days later, I walked upstairs to check on her. She had been playing in her room and it was nearly time for dinner. As I approached the door to the bathroom, I heard:
Bella: (breathing like a relaxation coach then ...) "Come on. Come on out. It's okay, Poops. You can come out. Come on, Mr. Poops."
Mr. Poops: (Bella, using a much deeper voice) No. I'm not coming out.
Bella: It's okay. You can come out.
Mr. Poops: I don't want to come out right now. Go away.
Bella: (breathing)
Mr. Poops: Well, okay. Here I come.
Bella: Thank you so much, Mr. Poops! You did it!
And ... scene.