Monday, February 2, 2009

Monday Confession: Twitter-dicted


So maybe you've heard of Twitter.

It's a micro-blog site that let's users say what they want to say to the world in 144 characters or less. Once you decide to start following a certain friend or user, you are fed "tweets" or posts that usually contain a brief anecdote, news tidbit or link to a video, article or other website. (People who only tweet about their flight delays and when they brushed their teeth get boring fast and aren't worth your time.) Then you can tweet your own mini-post or reply to a person that posted something you liked. Simple, right?

I've been a Twitter member since Nov. of 2007 and really didn't start using it until mid-2008. (More company history here.)

"Big deal," you say. "I'm on Facebook and there are way more fun things to do on there like take quizzes, create groups and play Mafia Wars, I don't need no stupid micro-blog."

Yes you do. Keep reading.

Maybe you are thinking like I did until a few weeks ago. Before then I never really got "into" it from a user stand point. I enjoyed reading tweets but rarely posted because the only followers I had were 4 friends, 20 strangers and 23 businesses trying to get me to visit their website. How was I, as a no one from Utah, supposed to get people to care what I have to say?

The best thing about Twitter is that there are a million ways to use it. And I initially didn't think of more than two. Well, here are just a few reasons to give it a shot with some profile links you can check out to see examples.*

- Put something funny or silly or thoughtful out there for the world to find.
@ericdsnider
@ameliamerritt

- Read posts from various professionals. Go on, learn something new.
@emilychang
@blackinkproject
@mickipedia

- Learn from Internet gurus. They are the future.
@veronica
@laughingsquid
@problogger
@mashable
@guykawasaki
@kevinrose

- Offer advice to the President. The actual President. For reals, ya'll.
@BarackObama

- Connect with actual celebrities. It's like they are texting you and only you!
@stephenfry
@jimmyfallon
@tinafey
@feliciaday
@diablocody

- Network with people who share your hobby or interests.
@yikbo
@filmjunk

- Find work. Or get a good tip or lead. Or promote your improv troupe.
@thrillionaires
@UtahConnect

- Start an absurd character profile and post as that person or thing.
@nigelpugmann
@janefelini
@Chewbacca
@sockington
@RainyTheHorse

- Ask questions. Get answers or feedback. 'Nuff said.

- Get quick news, updates and spoilers. Fast.
@nytimes
@chicagotribune
@drudge_report
@papparazza

So there you go. I could go on but really you need to just try it out and then research the Intrawebbingsnet (aka Internet) for details on how you can customize the experience for you.

Oh, and don't forget to follow me. @bmerritt

*The way you refer to people on Twitter is by putting their username after the @ symbol. When you do this, people can link to that person's page and add them to their Follow list. Depending on how this post goes, I may do a Twitter usability post in the future.