Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday Confession: The Creative Slump

I found this on Men With Pens, one of my favorite blogs on writing. I am so glad I did. James Chartrand writes, "If you write, if you draw, if you play with color or language, if you see shapes, images, words in your head ... if you are in any way creative, then you need to watch Elizabeth Gilbert (author of "Eat, Pray, Love") and hear her message."

I agree. And the video is only 19 min long.

We've all been there, right? Falling into a rut or even depression about how crappy you're creating is or that you aren't producing it fast enough or coming up with any ideas at all. In fact, I'm there right now in my own writing but hearing this today gives me some ammo for the battle.

Portions of this video made me smile and some made my eyes well up with tears but the whole thing stirred up good emotion that, in the end, left me feeling full and capable and ready for whatever is next.