Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday Confession: Mathematiccs

I was better at math in 5th grade than I am now.

In 5th grade I was put into advanced math because I was doing so well. I got to go take math from a 6th grade teacher. Exciting! After a month they moved me back. Deflating! At that point the 5th grade class had moved on to math I hadn't learned and I was put into a catch-up group. Depressing!

Recently we hired a sitter for a night out. When we got home, I wrote a check for the four hours she worked and sent her on her way. The next day, I contacted her by email to see if we could use her again and she replied that she'd be happy to but that she had noticed that I had shorted her $4 the last time I paid her. She was very nice about it and requested that I just make up for it when I paid her the next time. I agreed and apologized. I was so embarrassed. It kind of looked like I was trying to pull a fast one but I wasn't, I swear. I just couldn't do simple multiplication. (I don't know which is worse, lying or not being able to do 2nd grade times tables.) This doesn't happen often but it was a reminder that I don't use my head for complicated things anymore. I rely so much on technology to think for me these days.

Speaking of technology, my computer just told me it's lunchtime. I can't trust my stomach.